Frequently Asked Questions
As a LAUSD affiliated charter school, our first responsibility is to serve students who reside within our residential boundaries. You can confirm your home school by visiting “Find a School” at the LAUSD’s website. Anyone who presents fraudulent address information loses the right to enroll in our school. We may also serve eligible students outside our residential boundaries on a space-available basis. Families wishing to be considered must complete a lottery application. Lottery applications will be available in January and related dates will be announced. All lottery candidates are placed on a waiting list.
Dixie Canyon has a GATE (Gifted and Talented Education) program that develops higher level thinking skills, critical thinkers, thinkers with depth and complexity. Our GATE program also includes students with special talents in art and/or drama, high achieving students, and students with strengths that excel in a single area like math.
Dixie Canyon is also a School for Advanced Studies (SAS) where students who have been identified as GATE are clustered into classrooms with teachers who have special training in working with these students and developing all of their assets.
Dixie Canyon is committed to LAUSD’s policy of providing a safe and secure learning environment for our students. We encourage parental involvement in our school. The following guidelines reflect Education Code and Board Rules:
ALL CAMPUS VISITORS MUST:
- Request appointment for a visitation date and time from the office staff after entering the school office.
- Appointments will be scheduled as soon as possible
- Complete a visitor’s permit and obtain the principal/designee’s approval before proceeding to the classroom.
- Please sign the guest book.
- Please wear a visitor pass where it may be seen.
- Visitors may only observe their own child’s rooms ONLY.
- Please determine the activity you wish to observe and keep your visit to a reasonable length of time (@20 min.)
- Return the visitor’s pass to the office and remember to sign out.
SOME IMPORTANT RULES FOR VISITORS:
- Enter and leave the classroom as quietly as possible. PLEASE turn off your cell phones
- Do not converse with students or adults during the visitation.
- Do not interfere with any school activity during the visitation.
Children who are not enrolled at the school are NOT to be on campus during school hours.
Thank you for your cooperation!!!