UPDATE: If you ordered an emergency kit for your child it has been delivered or is in the process of being delivered to your classroom. If you did not order a kit and need one they are available at SOS Survival Products in Van Nuys.
Print the EmergencyKitFlyer-2016
Emergency Preparedness Suggestions
Please note: This information is provided for your consideration by the PTA and is not affiliated with LAUSD regulations.
If an emergency occurs while your child is at school, Dixie Canyon has an Emergency Plan found HERE. Be sure to update your cell phone and any pertinent information at the front office if any of these have changed.
In an effort to prepare for natural or other such emergencies when the child is not at school, we suggest parents make an Action Plan with your children. Please consider the following:
Families should have a communication “HUB” person not living in Los Angeles OR California (If possible).
- All members of the family should have the “HUB” person’s cell phone number, home number and email address.
- Send this information to both sides of the family in an email that can be referred to with a special subject line.
- Considering sending this information to family friends your child(ren) have playdates with and nannies or caregivers.
- Also consider sharing this “HUB” information to scheduled weekly after school activity contacts.
The “HUB” information should be stored where it can be accessed immediately.
- Every family members should store this number in cell phones under Emergency heading.
- Print out and post the “HUB” information on refrigerator.
- Write the “HUB: information on your child’s backpacks with a sharpie along with parent phone number and address. This way if another parent at the play date, the coach at the game, the teacher of the dance class etc can’t contact the parents, there is a number the child has on his/her person for which to call and say “all is well” or “here is my info and our plan”.
There should be a middle ground meeting place between the parents and guardians with which they could “trek” to meet if needed should all communication be down.
- This preferable location should be well away from any city streets as there are many power lines.
- Sherman Oaks is in the Soil Liquification zone:
describing a phenomenonwhereby a saturated or partially saturated soil substantially loses strength and stiffness in response to an applied stress, usually earthquake shaking or other sudden change in stress condition, causing it to behave like a liquid.
For more information, read vn_eval
- Possibly pick a park as a meet up spot.
The PTA hopes this will help you in your preparations!