What is Spell-a-thon?
Students Grade 1-5 take a spelling test and Kinder students take a letter writing test.
Parents collect pledges (in any amount) for each word spelled (for Kinders: letter written) correctly. Donors may also give a flat rate donation.
Please keep these important dates and information in mind:
• Spellathon Kickoff assembly will be Thursday, Sept. 1st. Packets will go home with students this day.
• Tests will be taken AFTER SCHOOL on Tuesday, Sept. 13th.
• ALL parents must opt their children in or out so teachers are aware of which students are staying to take the test and which should be dismissed to meet their parents or go to after-school activities (Drama Sue, Art, STAR, etc.). See below note for Kinders.
• There will be a sign-up sheet with teachers and we’ll be utilizing Room Parents (if available) to facilitate getting all parents to sign up ‘yes’ or ‘no’. Spellathon committee will communicate directly with teachers who don’t have Room Parents.
• 2 parent volunteers needed for grades 1-5 classrooms to stay after school on the 13th to communicate with parents who may have forgotten the test was happening, and help bring completed tests to the office. If your classroom does not have a Room Parent yet, please let your teacher know.
• 2 parent volunteers needed for Kinder classrooms to stay after school on the 13th as stated above and, in addition, to walk Kinders to their after school programs.
• Graded tests will be sent home with students Friday, Sept. 16th.
• After the graded tests are received back, please to turn in pledge money to the PTA box in the office (in the envelope that will be sent home with the graded test) to be collected each day. Please do not send pledge money with your child.
• All pledge money is due Monday, Sept. 26th.
• Top award prizes will be announced at the Sept. 30th assembly (to be confirmed).
UPDATED! Prizes include:
If you didn’t have a chance to get pledges in for Spellathon, there’s still time! Must be in by Thursday, September 30, at the absolute latest to be entered in prize tallies.
$15 or more – entered to Silly String Ms. Yniguez and Mr. Merkelson!
$25 or more – entered to go to Menchies with Ms. Yniguez!
$50 or more – 36 student winners will have their name and photo on customized wallpaper for the computers in the lab!
Additionally, Mr. Merkelson wants to award 10 more students who raise $50 or more with the opportunity to print something on the 3-D printer!
$150 or more – entered to win an ipad mini!
More information below:
• drawing for ipad mini
• drawing to have your child’s name/photo be on one of the 36 computers with a special wallpaper design in the Tech Center dedicated to Spell-a-thon winners – see the sample from last year!
• Menchies with Mrs. Yniguez and Mr. Merkelson
• Target gift cards
• We also give gift cards for classroom supplies to teachers of the top 3 classes.
Spell-a-thon is optional. We hope you’ll join us in this educational fundraiser that helps fund Dixie’s wonderful Tech Center, which is used by students in all grades.
Here are some of the materials in Spellathon Packets:
Questions regarding Spellathon? Email Rachel Cox, Spellathon Chair email@example.com
Questions regarding Fundraising? Email firstname.lastname@example.org